UConn’s Sport Management Program Class of 2011 – Four Years On

UConn’s SMP Class of 2011 – Four Years On

As the celebration quiets down for the Class of 2015, the UConn Sport Management Alumni Community takes a moment to check in with a group of its former graduates – this time, turning the clock four years back and focusing on the UConn Sport Management Program Class of 2011.

Are they continuing to pursue their sporting ambitions in a sports industry that is as competitive as it is diverse? If so, where are they now and what are they doing? Did their Sport Management degree from UConn help prepare them for the work they are doing? More importantly – are they enjoying it?

The answer from the Class of 2011 has been a resounding “Yes!

• Abe Colwell – Director of Adult Hockey at Ann Arbor Ice Cube (Ann Arbor, MI)
    • The best part of my job is the freedom to make business/strategic decisions for the adult hockey program. I also like being able to connect with people over sports on a daily basis. I think the Sport Management internship requirements at UConn forced me to get hands-on industry experience as well as some great networking connections.
  • Jason Cvercko – Director of Football Operations, Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY)
    • “It’s the people that I met through the program, and who the program put me in contact with. In the Football world it’s not just who you know, but who knows you and will go to bat for you. It may seem hard now, but networking is key to success in any business – that is my biggest advice to anyone trying to get into football. Don’t be afraid to try and meet/learn from people in the industry, especially because UConn has a big Alumni base in the profession.”
  • Lauren Gunning – Assistant Lacrosse Coach, UConn (Storrs, CT)
    • “I love that I get to be at UConn every day and work for the athletic department that gave so much to me as a student athlete. I am able to create an environment for my student-athletes similar to one I was able to experience. I am able to use my passion for the university each day. Being able to relate to my student-athletes from an athletic and academic standpoint makes it fun and exciting to come to work everyday!”
  • Sara LaMont – Tulane University Law School Student, Contributor to “The Sports Lawyer” (New Orleans, LA)
  • Emily Mattson – Office Manager University of Oklahoma Women’s Basketball (Norman, OK)
    • “The UConn sport management program introduced me to the many moving parts of the sport industry, and emphasized the importance of coordinating those parts effectively in order to have success in the field.”
  • Libby McCormick – Partner Services Coordinator at IMG College UConn (Hartford, CT)
  • Greg Mihailides – Admissions Counselor at 2U, Inc. for the MBA@UNC Program, UNC (Chapel Hill, NC)
    • “My academic training from UConn SPM helps me each and every day. In my job, I wear many hats, sales, marketing, customer service, project management, etc. Classes like Sport Marketing, Sports Law, and Sports Psychology provided me with great insight into many different fields and perspectives in the work place.”
  • Emmanuel Omokaro – Master Control Operator at ESPN (Bristol, CT)
  • Matt Sych – Manager, Sponsorship Consulting at Team Epic (Norwalk, CT)
    • “Our senior project was to develop a marketing plan to help the CT Whale (now the Hartford Wolfpack) increase ticket sales amongst college students. The entire process – from ideation to final client presentation – served as a great introduction to brand marketing. I love working with major sports properties such as the NFL and MLS, and helping drive sponsorship strategy for iconic brands like AT&T, Wells Fargo and FedEx. Free Super Bowl tickets are pretty great too….”
  • Jon Sazo – Assistant Football Coach, Stonehill College (Easton, MA)

Thank you to the Class of 2011 for sharing with the UConn Sport Management Alumni Community!

This entry was posted in Alumni.