Rebecca Day Interns with the CT Sports Management Group, Inc.

Written By: Rebecca Day

My name is Rebecca Day and I am from Cheshire, Conn. This summer, I had the opportunity to work with the CT Sports Management Group, Inc., a company that administers the Nutmeg State Games (the only amateur Olympic-style sports festival in the state) and the CT Master’s Games (Olympic-style sports festival for older residents of the state). Based out of Middletown, Conn., we work closely with other local towns and venues to put on the Nutmeg State Games and the CT Master’s Games. I applied for this internship online, quickly heard back about scheduling an interview, and the rest is history.

I have had the opportunity to work on a variety of different tasks this summer. Some examples might be social media outreach, marketing, recruitment of individual athletes and teams, communicating with sponsors and the Board of Directors (BoD) and acting as a Site Director for the Games themselves. My special assignment as part of my internship was to put together the program, which was published in the New Britain Herald before the start of the Games, provide newsletters to the BoD updating them on the progress of the Games and compile a press kit for the local media. Through my work with NSG, I have been able to travel around the state and work with people from all different backgrounds. I have learned that working in the sport industry is a grueling, often tiresome job, but the feeling of accomplishment after a great event makes it all worthwhile.

My internship with the CT Sports Management Group, Inc. has really helped me learn more about event operations in the sport industry and all of the work that goes into putting on a successful tournament. Though I may not want to pursue a career in event operations, this internship has given me valuable, hands-on experience with recruitment, marketing and sponsorships, and community outreach; all areas which will be helpful in any future career. I hope that I will be able to utilize the relationships and knowledge I have built over the past four years to help propel me into a career in athletic administration or sport law.