A Compliance and Facilities Experience

Written by: David Dapaah-Afriyie

David Dapaah-AfriyieMy name is David Dapaah-Afriyie and I am a rising senior at the University of Connecticut, from Attleboro, MA. This past summer, I was fortunate enough to work at Brown University Athletics, as an intern with the Compliance and Facility Operations departments.

My internship opportunity was a product of timely networking at the Sport Management's Annual Career in Sport Night and subsequent interactions with alumnus, Mr. David Longo, who is the current Providence College Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities and Game Day Management.  Mr. Longo introduced to me Ms. Ann Dwyer and Ms. Bridgette Cahill from Brown’s Facility Operations and Compliance departments and as a result, which led to them creating and co-supervising an individualized multi-faceted internship for me this summer.

This in-depth, hands-on experience, with both facility operations and compliance duties allowed me to engage in—and be exposed to—a myriad of day-to-day assignments that a job within each department entails. This high-activity experience was intellectually stimulating and satisfying: I witnessed how to seamless transition from game-field preparation and supervision to database analysis and synchronization; I was consistently presented with novel problem-solving situations, which I can use towards future decision-making; and I continued my development in professional transferrable skills which broaden my perspective concerning a significant sector of the sport industry.

My internship with Brown provided an incredibly opportunity to further develop my foundational knowledge, as I was able to become intimately aware of collegiate operations to a certain extent. As an individual that seeks to have a well-rounded grasp of the sport industry in totality, being granted the opportunity to become immersed within a realm of the industry is something I will cherish forever.