Alumni “SportPath”: Greg Ferrara – from UConn to Team Epic

Every UConn Sport Management (SMP) alumni has followed a unique path into the sport industry. As a part of a new series, we turn the spotlight on members of the UConn SMP Alumni Community, focusing on the diversity of experience and breadth of knowledge they have gained within the industry. Designed to help current and future SMP students learn to navigate and understand the real-world intricacies of sport management, we thank SMP alumni for their valuable contributions and insight. Today, Greg Ferrara (B.S. Sport Management, UConn 2010) shares a snapshot of his “SportPath” to working at Team Epic with the UConn student community:

Greg Ferrara (’10)

When I got into the Coaching & Administration program at UConn, my advisor was legendary UConn Men’s Soccer Coach Joseph Morrone. While he was certainly an “old school” personality, he taught valuable lessons on how to be a professional and respectable member of a team. And most importantly, he was able to set me up with volunteer hours within the Athletic Department. So that’s how I first ended up with a job in Athletic Development, just as volunteer student worker in the office.

After working there a semester, I really enjoyed it and did well enough that they hired me as a student worker so I could get paid a little bit through my work-study stipend. I continued to gain more responsibility within the department and ended up working there for about four years (until June 2012). After my contract ended, an opening came up at UConn IMG Sports Marketing and I already knew the General Manager from my previous work at UConn, so I was able to get an interview​ and ended up with the job.

After 18 months there, I started to think of what I wanted my career to be and I finally realized I wanted to work within Sports Marketing and at sporting events as an “event/hospitality planner”. A co-worker put me in touch with another former UConn Husky at Team Epic and after a couple interviews, that’s how I ended up where I am currently. As much of my job centers around golf events, I have the chance to travel around the country and work at some of the most iconic golfing facilities in the country – and indeed some of the most spectacular sporting settings you can find, such as the TPC at Snoqualmie Ridge, pictured above.

Company: Team Epic – Sports Marketing Agency in Norwalk, CT

Position: Associate in Team Epic’s Events and Hospitality department – responsible for the planning and execution of hospitality events at sporting events for various Team Epic clients.

Previous positions: UConn Athletics Development​ Office, UConn IMG Sports Marketing

Event experience: Intercollegiate basketball, soccer and football games at UConn; Various golf tournaments (U.S. Open in Pinehurst, NC, TOUR Championship in Atlanta, Farmers Insurance Open in San Diego, Byron Nelson Classic in Dallas, Deutsche Bank Championship in Boston); MLB games (Philadelphia Phillies, Texas Rangers, New York Yankees); NFL games (NY Jets, Dallas Cowboys).