Alumni Focus: Alex Friedman – From UConn to WME | IMG

Alumni “SportPath”: Alex Friedman – from UConn to WME | IMG

Every UConn Sport Management Program (SMP) alumni has followed a unique path into the sport industry. As a part of an ongoing series, we turn the spotlight on members of the UConn SMP Alumni Community, focusing on the diversity of experience and breadth of knowledge they have gained within the industry. Designed to help current and future SMP students learn to navigate and understand the real-world intricacies of sport management, we thank SMP alumni for their valuable contributions and insight. Today Alex Friedman (B.A. Sport Management, UConn 2008) shares a snapshot of his “SportPath” to working at WME | IMG with the UConn student community:

Alex Friedman (B.A. Sport Management, UConn 2008)

Currently, I work in Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Development at WME | IMG in New York. I work directly with our Global Head of Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Development with a concentrated focus on internal M&A deal sourcing efforts across WME | IMG divisions worldwide. Acting as a proactive, process driven resource for the group who continuously pushes to move things forward, I work to engage with the leaders of the business units to not only relay corporate M&A priorities, but also help with developing a targeting plan for the respective business unit. When we say targeting plan, this is with regards to prospecting companies/organizations/products that are out in the marketplace that WME | IMG would potentially want to acquire that fit well within a respective business of ours or enhance one of our existing product offerings.

Looking back to where it all started, I began my career at College Sports Television (CSTV) as an intern when I was a junior in high school and continued to work there over the course of five summers. It was a great place for me to start as I figured out what I liked and didn’t like working on and made tremendous connections which continue to remain value to me through the current day (my initial introduction to IMG was through one of my strongest connections at CSTV).

After my last summer at CSTV, my next venture was to Stockholm, Sweden to work for Sport Business Nordic (a small boutique talent marketing sport agency) between semesters during my Senior Year at UConn. It was a great experience for me, again to network, but also to see how business works internationally between different cultures (I would suggest this to every student should they have the opportunity as it makes them a more knowledgeable, well-rounded executive).

Following graduation from UConn, I headed out to Los Angeles, California to do an internship at William Morris Agency. This was my most meaningful experience to date. Working in the Hollywood agency culture was something that I had never experienced before and I really took to it. I knew working at an agency was something that I really wanted to pursue and reinforced the prior vision I had for myself. I met great network contacts and friends during my time there and came back to New York with personal confidence and momentum moving forward onto the next step of my career.

Luckily upon returning to the East Coast, the U.S. Business Development group at IMG was looking for an entry level employee to assist in supporting the team. Utilizing my strong connection(s) at CSTV, I was able to secure an interview and at the end of the process was fortunate enough to have been selected for the position. Timing and networking are everything in today’s world.

Following a year in USBD, I made a move over to IMG’s Fashion Division where I eventually created a role for myself working with our Vice Presidents to oversee the day-to-day operation of the division’s Global Business Affairs, including the internal monitoring of sales and sponsorship revenue across all IMG Fashion events globally and the full facilitation of contractual agreements on a worldwide basis (i.e. sponsorship agreements, designer agreements, etc.) Although I had been progressing well within my role in Fashion at IMG, upon the announcement that IMG was to be acquired by William Morris Endeavor in December of 2013, I knew something bigger was in store. Everything had come full circle… a sense of fate was in the air.

Having worked at both William Morris and IMG, I had a good grasp of how both types of firms operated and the scopes of their respective businesses… I had and continue to expand on an incredible internal executive network at a high level across both companies… Over the course of my time at IMG, I had worked across a number of different groups in a number of different capacities… I knew I had something to offer that was unique. I knew I could be of help to the firm in some capacity with regards to fostering the communication across divisions that senior management was looking to create. I knew I could be of tremendous value to the new organization. I approached IMG’s Human Resources department about the new prospective role I had envisioned, continued to run with it up the WME ladder and months later find myself in my current new position.

A final piece of advice for students – no one can sell yourself better than you can. Be confident in yourself, be confident in your story and GO FOR IT. Throughout every chapter of your story, be proactive, pay attention to the details, treat every single person you meet with respect and don’t be outworked. The results will come.