Student Focus: Theus McBee – Interning for the NBA

This past summer, I was fortunate enough to intern with the National Basketball Association at their headquarters in New York City. As a senior Sport Management major, I was thrilled to join such a well-known organization in my desired field of interest. After submitting my application in the fall and going through a couple of interviews, I was granted the opportunity to work alongside one of the greatest sports leagues in the world. When I first received the offer from the HR Department, I was ecstatic and could not believe that it was really happening. So many positive emotions ran through my body and I happily accepted.

Over the course of the ten week program, I primarily spent my time working with the social media department, where I was able to get a deeper look on how popular social media platforms are used throughout the industry. Some of the biggest events that I got to take part in were the NBA Draft, a NBA Cares event, and the NBA Rookie Photo Shoot. Lending a hand in all three of these events really opened up my eyes to see how certain operations take place in the grand scheme of things. I’ve watched a countless number of NBA games on television and have even been able to attend a few games live, but seeing the behind-the-scenes aspect of it all, really made me appreciate it even more.

From an organizational standpoint, the employees that I worked with at the NBA were extremely helpful at all times and provided me with a terrific amount of guidance. Being an intern can be intimidating in some instances at particular organizations, but this was not the case. The people there were always willing to speak with me, whether it was giving me advice on life after college or simply telling me about their road to where they are now. They understood where I was coming from and they treated me with respect. The concept of “family” is truly portrayed at the NBA’s league offices.

There is no doubt in my mind that I would not have made it this far had it not been for the University of Connecticut’s Sport Management Program. The faculty, the students, and the overall staff have all played a huge role in getting me into the position that I’m in today. From spending time as President of the UConn Sport Business Association to being a manager for the men’s basketball team, UConn has definitely been a benefit to my overall success. The beauty of this great university and Sport Management program is that students are able to receive an enriching curriculum regarding business in the sports world, while still having the luxurious opportunity of getting quality experience at such a top notch athletic institution. The combination of learning in the classroom and being able to apply that knowledge right here on campus, is tough to beat.